Mumbai is home to exquisite monuments and architecture. Each building has an interesting story to tell. Among these is the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport, one of the busiest airports in the country. Here are a few interesting facts about this airport that would surely leave you awe-struck.
- The airport owes its name to Chhatrapati Shivaji, who was a great Maratha king and warrior. He laid the foundation of the Maratha Empire which is recognised as one of the greatest empires of India.
- Until 1999, Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport was known as Sahar International Airport. However, that year it was renamed as Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport as a mark of respect to the Maratha warrior king.
- The airport sees huge passenger traffic. In terms of passenger traffic and cargo traffic, the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport is India’s second busiest airport. In 2018, the airport recorded a whopping 49.8 million passenger traffic.
- The airport is also a perfect place for art lovers as it is home to the world’s largest art project known as Jaya He GVK New Museum. The museum covers an area of approximately 3 kilometres displaying the works of artists and artisans. The more than 5,500 artefacts on display showcase the vibrant Indian culture.
- The Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport is the main hub for some of the leading airlines of India such as IndiGo, GoAir, Alliance Air, Air India, and SpiceJet. The airport is also the Focus City for AirAsia India, Air India Express, Vistara and Blue Dart Aviation.
- Terminal 2’s parking area is huge and can accommodate around 5,000 cars. Other than this, it has 60 boarding bridges, 192 check-in counters and 108 parking stands for aircraft.
- The airport is a paradise for shoppers. The retail space covers an area of 21,000 square meters and some of the products you can buy here include clothing, toys, electronics, books, footwear, etc.
- The GVK Lounge, which became operational in 2014, is spread over an area of 30,000 square feet. Open exclusively to the first-class and business-class travellers, the lounge boasts of many eye-catching facilities which are at par with those offered by some of the best hotels in Mumbai. Some of these include library, fine dining places, luxury spa, concierge services, bar, among others.
- The Terminal 2 is highly secure comprising around 2300 CCTV cameras to keep passengers safe. There are also more than 70,000 detection devices to alert the authorities in case of a fire.
- The airport comprises two passenger terminals – Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. Terminal 1 caters only to domestic flights. Terminal 2 is for both domestic as well as international flights.
The next time you visit the airport, do keep in mind these interesting facts. They are sure to make your journey more exciting. And, if you are travelling to Mumbai, you can stay at some of the best hotels in Mumbai near airport that offer good hospitality and food services. Some of the hotels you can check out include Taj Santacruz, The Orchid, Hotel Bawa International, Golden Crown Airport Hotel and The LaLiT Mumbai to name a few.