Being arrested in case of drunk driving is a humiliating thing, even if you are slightly drunk. If or not you are innocent, you have to appear in the court along with an experienced DWI (driving while intoxicated) or DUI (driving under influence) lawyer. However, the major question here is that how you can look for a good DUI lawyer with so many lawyers advertising to be the best. The best way is to ask for referrals from your friends and family, if any of them has dealt directly with a DUI lawyer. If you do not get any referral, you can take referrals from the local Bar Association, which can give you the best DUI lawyer for your case.
When you go for initial free consultation, you must have a list of questions ready with you. Because you would be obviously stressed, you might forget to ask some important questions from the prospective attorney and you may regret it later after the free consultation meeting is over. Since every DUI case is different, there are not specific set of questions. However, you can ask some general questions from the prospective DUI lawyer when you meet him / her. You can take cues from the following questions:
- Do you dedicate yourself to the DUI law or you practice general law?
- What is your total experience in this field?
- What is the number of DUI cases that you have defended during the last one year? What is the number of cases that you won or beat?
- What is your success rate in defending your clients?
- What is the percentage of DUI cases with you that go for trial?
- Are there any DUI cases with you that have managed to be dropped or have them reduced to a smaller offense?
- How are you reviewed by your previous clients?
- Do you think you can assist me in my case? Is my case strong enough to be handled well?
- Do you have a dedicated staff in at your law firm like paralegals, DUI lawyers, or other support staff to help me with the case?
- What are your fees for the case? Do you charge a fixed amount of fee or do you charge on an hourly basis? What is comprised in the fees and what is not comprised?
- Do you have professional operations with the blood test toxicologists and breathalyzer?
- Do you understand alcohol toxicology?
- What is the amount of minimum initial payment or the retainer? Are there any bills for mileage or travel time?
- Do you offer any flexible payment plan? (since DUI cases are often unexpected for many middle income people, many DUI lawyers offer a flexible payment plan, which allows you to pay your fees in the next few months)
- Can I contact you on evenings or weekends according to my schedule?
- Will you be available if I am not satisfied with the answers of your assistant?